Monday, January 03, 2005

I'll miss you, Dave.

I remember seeing various people cry when favorite celebs died. I myself grieved when Bloom County ended. But I didn't anticipate the feeling of loss I'd feel about

Dave Barry's retirement.

I think It's because I couldn't envision it happening.

There have been times when I've gone weeks, even months, between glimpses at Dave Barry's column. Then I'd rush over one day in a fit of enthusiasm and gorge. I'd recall all the special moments we shared pondering low flow toilets and war with Canada. Ok, I shared them. I don't know that he's aware of my existence. But still.

What I'm trying to say is I took him for granted, and now his column is over. I feel like I should have read him more frequently. I should have laughed more. I think I might have to wear black for a while.

On the other hand, maybe he's going to write another book. I hope so.

Thanks, Mr. Barry, for the many, many laughs.

No comments:

Search the Web