Friday, April 08, 2005

Funeral words from Cardinal Ratzinger

At the funeral of Pope John Paul, while people outside waved banners reading "Santo Subito" (meaning "Sainthood at once"), Cardinal Ratzinger gave a homily with an image that I believe will stay with me as long as I live.

"Recalling how the Pope had appeared at a window in the Vatican to bless believers on Easter Sunday, six days before his death, when he could no longer speak, the cardinal said: 'Our Pope never wanted to spare his own life, but gave himself unreservedly for Christ until his last moment ... now we can be sure that our beloved Pope is at the window of God's house, where he sees and blesses us.'"

I, too, am convinced that Pope John Paul now blesses us from beside Jesus Christ. But I cannot put my thoughts any more eloquently than the Cardinal did, so I'll hush for now.

No comments:

Search the Web