Thursday, October 12, 2006

Whiteboard idea

If you homeschool, you probably do whiteboards, too. Or if you have a big family, with kids who keep different schedules. Or if you're looking for the perfect housekeeping "method" or chore chart. Today's idea is simple: make your own whiteboards using picture frames. I did it, and it worked out better than I expected.

first I went to Dollar Tree for inexpensive hangable frames. If they hadn't had hangable ones (which sometimes they do not) I would have also bought a picture hanging kit, also a dollar. They did this time, and I bought a matching set of five frames in different colors. They had a sort of art-deco look to them, but there were plenty of other choices as well, and the selection there frequently changes. The entire cost of this project (aside from the paper and dry erase pens, which we already had) was five dollars plus tax.

When I got home, I went through resume paper samples I happened to have around the house. I was able to match the papers to the frames for an extra attractive look, but white paper or card stock would have worked just as well. If you want a grid, use graph paper. If you want lines, use lined paper. You get the idea.

In the past I've used the ever-popular tileboard (the stuff they make shower walls from), but they eventually stain and scratch. Likewise for coated cardboard which additionally can't be washed clean without eventual damage. Glass is completely washable, but it wipes clean very easily without washing. You can use wet erase if you want something that won't smudge. Best of all, the glass writing surface comes already framed attractively and ready to hang. You can make one for each member of the family if you like, or one for housework and one for schoolwork and one for messages.

If you've been reading me for any amount of time you've noticed that the one thing I like better than a creative idea is a good money saving idea, and this one is both.

No comments:

Search the Web