Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Short Stack

Let's face it: I'm not very good about keeping up with changing the sidebar. The book list looks stagnant. So, for that matter, does my posting history lately. Time, I guess, to correct both items at once, and post about the books instead of listing them in a sidebar.

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Trapp
I finished this a while ago, and it was one of the most enjoyable books I've read. Maria Trapp and her husband Georg had so much faith, a life literally built on and around faith, a fact that doesn't come true nearly strongly enough in The Sound of Music. The story presented in the movie is pretty true to the characters, though many factual details were completely changed (such as the names of the children!). The movie plot, however, only tells the very beginning of the story of this family's life together. In the book I had the pleasure of seeing how Maria taught folk culture to an elite family, and how they anxiously awaited the opportunity to become American citizens. Most of all, I had the privilege of seeing incredible faith in action. Maria had a sharp sense of humor, making it a fun and thoroughly enjoyable story, as well. I highly recommend it.

Currently on the Short Stack: The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Bauer.

No comments:

Search the Web