Friday, August 15, 2008

Simple Woman Daybook

For August 15, 2008

I've seen these several places, and decided to look into it. Here's where it began, and I rather like the idea. Please feel free, readers, to join in.



Outside My Window...
A riot of pumpkin plants. I didn't actually plant them, but they grew from compost; now we have most of our front lawn covered with pumpkin plant and pumpkins. The biggest is the size of a small watermelon already. I can't wait to see what our front yard will look like by October!

I am thinking...
about family members not here. I miss our oldest, and I am praying that she has a lot of joy and hope in her life.

I am thankful for...
That my mom and sister were able to come for Peter's baptism this weekend. Even if it was only, really, for a day. One day is better than no days.

From the kitchen...
Today my Charming and Patient Husband is cooking... taco salad. My latest kitchen feat was chicken and dumplings. I just learned to make them this month, and they've been a big hit.

I am wearing...
blue athletic/stretch shorts and a short sleeved shirt with a busy brown and green flower design. No shoes, hair tied back. Still too hot.

I am creating...
Laundry soap. Ok, not the most creative thing in the world, but it makes me feel empowered to be able to make something practical and useful for myself at a savings. Plus, it has little pink flecks and smells like lemons.

I am going...
to the fair tomorrow. It's the last day, and we weren't able to go last year. There is something about a small town county fair that makes you feel so connected to the community. And every year I swear to myself that next year I'll make Grandpa's Boterkoek for the ethnic foods category.

I am reading...
From Housewife to Heretic by Sonia Johnson. It's about a Mormon woman who was excommunicated for feminist activities in the 70's. She's a very good writer, and although I disagree with much of what she says, the presents herself so well that I am coming at least to understand better the "other side" of views that I disagree with.

I am hoping...
to get the house clean. Maybe it's more of a wish than a hope. Maybe it's science fiction. I'm not sure. But I would love, love, love, not to have to worry about what Peter might pick up and put in his mouth.

I am hearing...
My first semi-silence for most of the day. The kids moved my daughter's stereo into the family room to listen to MP3s through real speakers. Loudly. Mostly it's video game remixes, from Mario and Zelda games, at the moment. But I'm in my room and can't hear much beyond muted voices through the wall, and the computer fan.

Around the house...
there's a sense of lethargy that seems to accompany hot summer days. Our air conditioning has its limits, and with this many people in one house it does get rather humid. So the activity gradually slows down, until morning brings cool breezes through windows.

One of my favorite things...
Raindrops on roses, ... oops. I mean, quality musicals. I do love The Sound of Music. Also, Brigadoon, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:
I haven't done much planning for next week, but with the summer running out I really think we should try to make it to the pool at least one more time. Or maybe I could get the nerve to go there alone and swim some laps. I'm sure the week will include trying to tackle the mountain of laundry waiting to be put away, and I should get in some lesson planning, with school coming back so soon.

No comments:

Search the Web