Saturday, October 18, 2008

Knife Holder




I really like the idea behind this Schaschlik knife holder.

I'd never seen it before tonight, but as soon as I saw it, I could immediately see the usefulness, as well as the beauty. I do not, however, have any desire whatsoever to pay $125 for a knife block, no matter how much I like it.

Over at ReadyMade, they offer an alternative. It is homemade, and really very easy. But to be honest, I don't care for the look of it. I know a 2-liter bottle when I see one, and I also know that they have three knobs on the bottom that make them less than stable for a long-term item.

I've been thinking about how I can reproduce the item for free or very cheap. (Let's face it, the drawer my knives are currently in will be reachable by Curtain Climber very soon after he learns how to walk.) My thought is that it must be a wooden container, because I want it to be stable and less breakable than plastic. I also think wood is much more attractive, as evidenced by the two pictures above. My next thought is that this is really cheap to make, even with a wooden container. I happen to have a bread box that I think will work very well; but if I didn't, a trip to Goodwill could easily provide me with some surprise container that would make my knife holder a unique piece.

I'm hoping to get around to making this; I'll ask my daughter to take a picture I can share. If anyone reading this happens to like the idea and make one, please share a picture of your final piece. I just love the idea that by using a "vintage" container, each piece will come out different. I would love to post multiple pictures.

No comments:

Search the Web