Friday, October 31, 2003

Why a "Hot Carmel Sundae?"

Before I get started seriously, I should take a moment to explain the name of this little corner you've stumbled into. It began when my husband and I were dating, and beginning to contemplate marriage. He and I lived in different states, and consequently my friends did not know him, and his friends did not know me. He was telling one friend about me, and mentioned that I was a secular Carmelite.

His friend decided to infer that I was also "hot." From then on, he referred to me as Joel's "hot Carmel sundae," as a joke. The rest is history.

I thought it was amusing, and love the thought of trying not to take myself too seriously; I also thought it would be a cute moniker to keep alive. Alas, too, I sometimes need reminders of my Carmelite affiliation. I've moved to where there is no Carmelite community, and have yet to hear any answer to my application for "isolate" standing (and formation), so I'm essentially on my own.

So now you know the story. No, I do not think myself "hot," and this is certainly not intended as smut, but only as a little gentle self-teasing.

If you've read this far, you have a strong enough stomach that I don't think I'll have to worry too much about your reactions to my opinionated musings and occasional offbeat humor. If you must point fingers, I insist that you blame my husband for the humor. I didn't know I had such humor to let loose until I was exposed to his.

So, Joel, a toast to you, my favorite inspiration.

Search the Web