Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mass Civil Disobedience

Tomorrow is Flag Day, and with a burst of patriotism, I feel I need to come clean about something that's been bothering me.

Last Thursday, our son graduated from high school. It was a stirring ceremony, and needless to say I was bursting with pride. Only two things marred the celebration: first, that our daughter, who also graduated this year from a different campus, didn't have a ceremony; and second, an enormous show of lawbreaking that occurred at the graduation ceremony.

Those who read this blog regularly have already surmised that I am not a person who lightly breaks laws. I rarely even break rules. I'm a "good girl." I go to Mass unless I'm unable, I pray before meals, and I stop at red lights, even if there are no other cars around. But on this day, wanting to be fully participant, when I saw some 3,000 friends and family members join in a massive expression of illegality, I didn't want to be excluded. I joined in.

Yes, that's right. I disobeyed the law as it was handed down by proper authorities. The really bad thing is that I don't feel guilty about it, as perhaps I ought. I enjoyed it. I even smirked afterwards.

I don't think the 9th circuit court of appeals is likely to come after the thousands of us who participated, because no doubt they have bigger fish to fry during graduation week. I just felt like I had to get it off my chest.

I confess, I joined in the Pledge of Allegiance. And I liked it.

No comments:

Search the Web